Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Now Lamb Chop is with me

After nineteen years and three months of outrageous living, Lamb Chop succumbed to a reaction after having two teeth pulled, one of which was infected. He had managed to live his entire life without a day of illness, but this was simply overwhelming to him. He died in Polly's arms, while waiting for the vet to administer a final shot to him. He spent his last night with Polly, going pee while she held him up, drinking water, though his tongue didn't move properly, and allowing himself to be snuggled and held. He was loving and thoughtful up to the end. Polly and Donner are still adjusting to his being gone, over two months from that beautiful, sunny October morning.

Now Polly has renamed our star -- it is Sirius, Churchill and Lamb Chop, and she looks up to find it every night the stars are out. It appears over the horizon late in the evening, long after the three stars from Orian's belt peer out.

1 comment:

EvyJean said...

Pam, I'm Judyth's friend, Evelyn Hall-It seems that all 3 of us LOVE animals, birds, etc. and I'm enjoying reading your blogs about your beloved friends-I have some Cherokee Indian blood in my veins on my Mom's side and I feed all the strays that pass through my yard everyday. The other night a black fox and later a coyote came to eat the table scraps I put out. Of course, the 5-6 stray cats preceded them in daylight so they didn't get eaten themselves! I also have lots of bird feeders and suet for our feathered friends plus 3 cute and tame squirrels. Life would be so boring if we didn't have our animal and bird friends, don't you think? I hope you have a very Merry Christmas with your loved ones! Are you married? Do you have children? I have been married to my 1st husband for 51 years-got married at 17 in the Little Brown Church in Nashua, IA. We have 4 children, 3 married, 13 grandchildren and 12 great-grandchildren. We were born and raised in Central Iowa but moved out here to Greely, CO 2 years ago to be closer to our Mormon daughters and their families. Our daughter, Sheryll, unmarried, who is brain-damaged from brain cancer when she was 6 (now 48) living in a home for brain-damaged folks ages 5-80 yrs old and our divorced son, Chuck in Nevada, Iowa, our hometown. Love and Christmas blessings, Evelyn Hall in Greeley, CO